Monday, October 3, 2011

Go Further: Iris 6 -week Project

Go  Further:  Iris 6 -week Project
Iris Chiu 10/03/2011
I am extremely excited about this brand new 6-week project because over the last month I have held multiple meetings with the principal and deans to discuss the various aspects of the project. Our main goal is to broaden our student’s global perspective through this unique 6-week challenge.
Long distance communication via video conferencing (time and equipments) for the purpose of correcting essays and giving student feedbacks can be very difficult and challenging. Thanks to I-EARN it has made communicating over large distances easier.
I would like to share with you my student’s learning experiences via these four blogs (http://nzjh1.blogspot.com/,http://nzjh2.blogspot.com/,http://nzjh3.blogspot.com/ ,http://nzjh4.blogspot.com/). I am very excited to be able to teach my students a variety of current events and news in English. I am utterly exhausted during this second week of school, but also calmly reflective and overwhelmingly renewed. This shows that I am exactly where I should be at this point in my learning and teaching career, with my Nan-Jung Junior High School students.

It has been fascinating talking and communicating with international students through the perspective of a coach. Certain things have caught my attention during these talks that might otherwise pass unnoticed. I feel it is my responsibility to document my experiences this year, no matter how tired I am. I am sure many of you reading this can certainly relate.

I am committed to this 6-week project and determined to see it through. At the end, I hope to learn more about and respect other cultures so that I can instill this knowledge upon my students and maximize the effectiveness of this project. If you are a system’s thinker, you’ll definitely want to stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Hello everyone in MHM2,


    I'm please to meet you all. This will be our last participation in this educational effort, our previous experiences had been
    very rewarding to us -teacher and students-.No wonder, we're here again for another try.

    Our school is a very tiny one. It only seats 80 students on its maximun capacity. Currently, we have 60 students attending.
    We teach English as a second language. Trying to provide our learners with collaborative projects where they will not only
    practice the language, but learn about other -perhaps- more significant, cultural, skillful ways of life, etc. We're located in the
    southeast part of Mexico. In hilly and green Xalapa, in the state of Veracruz. We'll share more about us in our welcome
    package.

    I'm leading this educational approach for the seventh consecutive year. Looking for fun, challenging and meaningfull ways to
    teach a second language. Mainly, we're here to share and learn from this collaborative educational experience.

    I'm looking forward to meeting you all through emails, forums and way not, in a live session -that would be awsome-.

    Cheers,

    Guillermo Ojeda Lajud
    Crafts, EWC
    MHM2

    ReplyDelete
  2. NanJung EnglishVillage
    Hey Iris!
    We looked over your lesson plans and found them to be great. Did you want us to do something specific with them? Otherwise, we will also work on commenting on the blog; please tell the students that they are going a GREAT job and to keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO Mali, Li-Ying, Janna, Olga, Guillermo, Rezeda, Svetlana, Stephanie and Jana
    My name is Wendy Jewell and I have been facilitating the My Hero Learning Circles for 6 years. I am a producer, writer and educator at the My Hero Project and have taken part in the project since it began 15 years ago. As a parent and educator, I love the Learning Circles because they bring your class into the world and the world into your classroom. It is also inspiring to learn about so many kids heroes… especially the ones from their countries that many of us have never heard of before.
    I am currently also producing a feature documentary with my teenage daughter Slater, called An Inconvenient Youth about kids living on the front lines of climate change and the global youth environmental movement working for a green sustainable future. We filmed another teenage girl, Alina, this summer, who is a leader in the Nepalese Youth Climate movement. While in Nepal we had the opportunity to meet a My Hero Learning Circle school, Elixir Academy and show a short film from AIY, as well as interview Tapash’s students about their heroes. It was amazing!
    I moved from Los Angeles, California to the countryside about an hour from Toronto, Canada 9 years ago with my husband David (a writer/director)and daughter Slater. I love to travel, read, garden, cook without recipes and watch great movies.
    It is always so exciting to start a new session of My Hero Learning Circles. This time we have 4 groups. 9 classes in elementary (MHE1), 18 classes split into two groups in middle school, (mhm1 and mhm2) and 8 classes in the high school circle (MHH1).
    I’m following this HELLO email with a short list of critical tips to make these circles the best experience they can be for everyone, as well as a timeline and resources pdf. Please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns or thoughts as we go along… I am here to help, along with a great team at the My Hero Project.
    Cheers
    Wendy Jewell
    Facilitator
    My Hero Learning Circles
    www.myhero.com
    wendy@myheroproject.org
    wendyjewell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Iris!

    These blogs are great! Please tell your students awesome job and keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete